For the past two year i had been using Ubuntu 7.10 and now i am switch over to ubuntu 9.04.
The screen looks very good but I love to work with Desktop Effects. So I decided to install compiz in my pc.
Installing Compiz in Ubuntu 9.04 is very easy when compare to Ubuntu 7.10.
Insert your Ubuntu 9.04 CD and switch on your DSL MODEM (Keep Internet in active state)
1. Click Applications and select Add/Remove (Install and remove applications)
2. From the left menu choose System Tools
3. Next from the right menu,
find and select for install: Desktop Effects (Compiz Setup)
and Nvidia binary X.org Driver version 173 or 177.
By selecting the driver you will get the list of supported graphics card.
4. Click Apply Changes and after installation go to System/Administration/Hardware Drivers
5. The system will search for available drivers and you can choose
the recommended option from the list to activate
the driver by clicking Activate button.
6. Next, restart your system and the new nVidia graphic display driver will be on use.
7. To enable the desktop effects on Ubuntu 9.04,
go to System/Preferences/Appearance and on the Visual Effects tab
choose Normal or Extra if you have never graphic system.
Run Compiz :
To run Compiz for the current session, hold Alt, then press F2, then enter the command
To configure Compiz and associated plugins, hold Alt, then press F2, then enter the command
Enjoy using Desktop Effects in Ubuntu 9.04.